Affordable Trademark Lawyers for Your Business
LegalShield Small Business Legal Plans offer small business owners access to business lawyers in their local areas for a fraction of the normal cost.
A trademark is a form of intellectual property that protects brand names, taglines and logos used on goods and services. Logos are considered Design Marks while plain text names and taglines are considered Word Marks.
- Securing trademarks for your brand gives you the exclusive rights to conduct business under your brand name in a particular class of goods.
- Trademarks provide legal protection against counterfeiting.
- If you’re trying to protect a book or song you’ve written, computer software your company has developed or other original works of authorship, you need a copyright, not a trademark.
If you’re not sure which type of protection you need, visit our general intellectual property page.
What Does a Trademark Lawyer Do?
There are several important reasons you should formally register your mark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO).
Common Services that Trademark Lawyers Provide
- Developing intellectual property strategy
- Conducting name searches
- Preparing and filing your trademark application(s)
- Defending your application(s) during the approval process
- Going after anyone who violates your trademark
- Defending you if you violate someone else’s trademark
While there are areas of law you might be able to handle yourself with the help of a generic form downloaded from the internet, trademark law is not one of those areas.
There’s an easy and affordable solution, a small business plan from LegalShield.
How Much Does a Trademark Lawyer Cost?
- Most intellectual property lawyers charge $150-$400 per hour.
- An experienced trademark lawyer typically charges a flat fee of $1,250-$2,000 for a basic filing.
- However, if there are any disputes that need to be resolved, violations that need to be handled or other legal work beyond the basic filing tasks, you’ll have to pay their standard hourly rate.
If you have a small business plan from LegalShield, you can register your trademark yourself (for the cost of federal filing fees) and complete the registration process with a trademark lawyer by your side. They’ll answer questions, provide guidance and review your registration documents before you file them, all for a fraction of typical lawyer fees.
How a LegalShield Small Business Plan Works for Trademarks
All LegalShield plans are jam-packed with valuable benefits. When it comes to trademark law, the most common plan usage is in two areas.
CONSULTATION AND ADVICE
You can have unlimited phone consultation with a business lawyer to get questions answered, receive legal advice and make sure you’re making the right moves.
DOCUMENT REVIEW AND NEGOTIATION
You can have your lawyer review any documents (up to 15 pages each) and even make phone calls and write letters on behalf of your business to resolve disputes with vendors, creditors or customers.
Plans Start at Only $49 Per Month
Key Features of Our Small Business Legal Plans
LegalShield’s business plans can help you in the following areas.
Legal consultation from a provider lawyer on business legal matters, with legal research for each issue, if needed.
Receive help with business legal matters more efficiently with professional communications issued on your behalf.
Put business-related legal documents through legal review.
A collection letter from a provider lawyer could help you recoup payments more efficiently.